The only remaining covered bridge in Randolph County and one of only two remaining covered bridges in North Carolina, Pisgah Covered Bridge was almost destroyed in August 2003. (The other is the Bunker Hill Covered Bridge in Catawba County.) A heavy rain flooded the Little River on August 9, 2003, and the Pisgah Covered Bridge was washed away downstream approximately fifty feet from its longstanding foundation. David Jones, director of the North Carolina Zoological Park in Asheboro, shortly afterward recruited volunteers to locate parts of the bridge and to rebuild it. Jones’s effort was successful. In May 2004, as it sat on its new foundation, the bridge was rededicated.
Hired by Randolph County, J.J. Welch in 1911 built the bridge for $40.
L. Barron Mills, Jr., Randolph County: A Brief History (Raleigh, 2008).