In the mid-nineteenth century, John Morehead expressed interest in establishing a port city. He and Silas Webb visited Carteret County to determine whether a large port could be developed. Impressed by the location and potential of Shepard’s Point, Morehead purchased six hundred acres of property. With that property, the Shepard Point Land Company was formed, and on November 11, 1857, the first town lots were sold.
Author: Carteret County Historical Society
Carteret County, North Carolina was formed in 1722 out of Craven County. It is named in honor of Sir John Carteret, who later became the Earl of Granville and one of the Lords Proprietors of North Carolina.