Coleridge was the home of the Enterprise Manufacturing Company, the southern most cotton mill built on Deep River. Its construction in 1882 was the final link in the chain of Randolph County’s water-powered textile industries that had begun to be forged in 1836.
Named after Joseph Caldwell, the first president of the University of North Carolina, Caldwell County was created in 1841 and formed out of Burke and Wilkes counties by the North Carolina legislature.
With Danbury as its county seat, Stokes County lies in the north Piedmont and adjacent to the Virginia border. The county was named after a Revolutionary Patriot, Captain John Stokes.
Formed out of Guilford County in 1785, Rockingham County was initially inhabited by the Cheraw Indians and later by the English, Germans, and Scotch-Irish. Its current population is approximately 92,000. Although not the county’s largest town, Wentworth serves as the county seat.
During the early 1800s, present-day Transylvania County was the site of a border conflict between Georgia and North Carolina. In 1803, Georgia claimed ownership of a twelve-mile strip of land in North Carolina, commonly referred to as the “orphan strip.” The minor dispute was known as the Walton War because Georgia named the region Walton County in honor of George Walton, a Georgia signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Annexed from Guilford, Randolph County was formed in 1779, and named for Peyton Randolph, a Virginian who once presided over the Continental Congress.
As its name suggests, Scotland County is a region steeped in Scottish heritage and history. Although the early Cheraw Indian tribes were the first in the area, the Highland Scots, along with English and Quaker settlers, colonized the region as early as the 1720s.
“The Golden Opportunity” county, Montgomery is named in honor of Revolutionary War Brigadier General Richard Montgomery. A rural and wooded region, Montgomery County’s primary attracts hunters and fishing and outdoor enthusiasts. It is also home to much of the Uwharrie National Forest—approximately 50,000 acres.
Henderson County’s boundary has changed considerably since its establishment in 1838, with the formation of Polk County and Transylvania County. The location of its county seat, Hendersonville, sparked a raging political firestorm that pitted the Road Party against the River Party.
Situated on the shores of the Pamlico Sound, historic Beaufort County is one of North Carolina’s oldest counties. It was once a major shipping destination, and presently thrives as a tourist market.