The county seat of Harnett County (established 1855), the town of Lillington is located approximately halfway between Raleigh and Fayetteville. Originally named Long Creek Village, the town was established in 1859. Its name was later changed to Lillington, in honor of the American Revolutionary War Patriot, John Alexander Lillington.
The town is now approximately 4 square miles, and the Cape Fear River runs through the town. According to the town’s website, Lillington had 3,200 residents in 2004.
The Town of Lillington, www.lillingtonnc.com (accessed October 25, 2008) and William S. Powell,The North Carolina Gazetteer: A Dictionary of Tar Heel Places (Chapel Hill, 1968)