Showing results: 76 to 87 out of 87
The second largest Cape Fear River town during the eighteenth century, Cross Creek was formed in 1756, was combined with Campbelltown in 1778, and was later named Fayetteville in 1783. During the Revolutionary War, the town was a hotbed of wartime activity and a home of divided loyalties.
During the early 1800s, the state of North Carolina had only 43 of the 1,343 miles of canals in the United States. The Cross Creek Canal Company, named after the second largest Cape Fear river town, was one company that ensured that goods were transported into and from Fayetteville.
The CSA Arms Factory produced innovative technology for the Confederacy. One such example included a predecessor of the modern-day tank. The Confederate government, however, never signed a contract for the innovative products and relied on the North Carolina armory mainly for bayonets and swords.
Shortly after his arrival in Albemarle, John Culpeper joined John Jenkins and other antiproprietatary faction members in a plot to arrest Thomas Miller, the proprietary leader in the colony.
The British crown’s investigation into the rebellion in Albemarle did not conclude until November 20, 1680 when the Court of King’s Bench began its trial of Culpeper for high treason.
Some historians have argued that the Albemarle colony’s location, an isolated one in the frontier backwaters of colonial northern Carolina, fostered the development of individual initiative and self-governance in the region. It seems that the Albemarle region did indeed have a culture of independence that nourished seeds of liberty (or rebellion to some); at least five rebellions occurred there before the American Revolution. Culpeper’s rebellion, the most significant rebellion of the proprietary period in Albemarle Colony, exemplified the area’s dedication to opposing unfair taxation and demanding sovereignty in affairs.
Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, victor of the Battle of Culloden that ended the Jacobite Rising, is the namesake of the Coastal Region area known today as Cumberland County. Originally part of Bladen County, Cumberland County was drawn by the Colonial Legislature in 1754.
Located in Edenton, North Carolina and described as the finest Jacobean house south of Connecticut, the Cupola House reminds modern-day visitors of the prominence of Edenton during the transition from English colonial rule to American independence.
One of the earliest preservation efforts in North Carolina, The Cupola House Association has maintained the Cupola House in Edenton, built in 1758, for all to enjoy. It is a prime example of concerned citizens finding private solutions to solve historical preservation problems.
Currituck Beach Lighthouse is located on the Outer Banks in Corolla, North Carolina. It was put on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1973; the lighthouse is the last brick lighthouse built on the Outer Banks.
Founded in 1668, Currituck County was an original port for the colony of North Carolina. A northern Outer Banks county, Currituck serves as an important tourist and outdoor enthusiasts attraction, with the Currituck Lighthouse and the Whalehead Club being the most well-known historical sites. It is recognized as the home to a significant “Banker” pony population.
Although Don Curtis founded the Curtis Media Group in 1968, he started his media career ten years earlier. In 1957, 15 year old Don began working at WKMT in Kings Mountain, North Carolina. He transformed his weekly broadcast in Bessemer City into one of the largest single shareholder companies in the United States.